Donegal Women’s League – this week’s results & match reports

Here are all of the results and match reports from this week’s Donegal Women’s League action.


Under 12
The Under 12 girls have reached the second phase of the season with Group 1 playing for positions 1 to 10, Group 2 playing for positions 11 to 19 and Group 3 playing for positions 20 to 29.

Group 1
Ballyraine Harps 2 – 0 Kilmacrennan Celtic

Lagan Harps 2 – 5 Mulroy Academy
Mulroy came away with the points after an outstanding display by Alice Gibbons. They got off to a great start with Alice beating a number of Lagan players before finishing well. They went two up on five minutes when Mia Carlin scored. Lagan didn’t buckle and Emily Mc Mahon found Caoimhe Sweeney who finished well. Roisin Walsh put Mulroy 3-1 up before another good run from Emily Mc Mahon, saw her cross and Clodagh Kavanagh scored. Katie Gildea and Katie Doherty had some good runs down the wings to keep Lagan in touch. The halftime score was 3-2. The second half was well contested again but two great runs and finishes from Alice Gibbons put Mulroy clear. Ella Sharkey pulled off a few good saves when Mulroy threatened again. Thea Rodgers went closest for Lagan with a well struck free. Though Lagan were beaten by a very good side on the night, they played pretty well.

Cappry Rovers – Gweedore United (Cappry Win)
Cappry u12 girls team 1 played Gweedore United at home tonight in the Premier league. Cappry played some lovely football and scored 3 great goals in the first half. The second half was a lot tighter with some good defending, but the girls managed to score 3 more. A very good team performance with the goals coming from Molly Gallagher, Eadaoin McMenamin, Alison Imbuli and Sinead McMenamin. Well done all.

Donegal Town 1 – 1 Keadue Rovers
Donegal Town girls and Keadue played out a thrilling 1-1 draw in the hospital pitch. Keadue had most possession in the first half with Donegal defending very well, indeed it was Donegal who took the lead midway through the half with a great strike from Emmy from 30 yards. Just on the stroke of half time Keadue equalised with a penalty. In the 2nd half Donegal had a lot of possession and brought a few good saves from the Keadue keeper, however neither team found a winner and the game ended 1-1. Well done to both team on a great game.

Finn Valley 5 – 3 Convoy Arsenal
Finn Valley WFC welcomed Convoy Arsenal FC on Tuesday evening to the Finn Valley Centre. Finn Valley girls started well but couldn’t find a way past the Convoy keeper, who had some unbelievable saves during the game
Finn Valley finally got a breakthrough when Islagh Patton scored after some great work from Samara Mc Glinchey on the wing who was a threat the whole game. Mia Gallagher then popped up with two fine goals before Rihea Parke grabbed two for the away team either side of the break. Ríona Mc Intyre and Aoife McLaughlin both got on the scoresheet while Holly Patton grabbed another late on for Convoy. Thanks Teresa and coaches for the game and good luck to Convoy for rest of the season. Thanks to referee John Duffy who was brilliant with the girls the whole game.

Group 2
Illistrin 3 – 1 Milford United
Milford went 1 nil up early in the first half. Illistrin fought hard and scored on the stroke of half time with a goal from Amelia McLaughlin. Illistrin took the lead in the second half with a goal from Ruth McGrenra before an Èbhla McKinney goal (pen) secured the win.

Letterbarrow Celtic Youths 3 – 3 Glenree
The second half of the season kicked off tonight up in a very chilly Tymeen against Glenree FC. The match finished in a very entertaining 3 all draw that could have swung either way for both sides. The Letterbarrow girls were behind three times during the match but showed great perseverance and pulled level every time. The first equaliser was from Blathnaid who latched onto a bit of pinball deflections in midfield and calmly slotted the ball in the bottom corner of the goal. The Letterbarrow girls started the second half 2-1 down but once again great character kicked in and after tough battling Orla let loose a left footed shot from the corner of the box that looped in the top corner. Once again they found themselves behind but following a tenacious and brilliant run by Taylor from half way the ball found its way to Lauren who took a snap shot that nestled in the goal. Goal scorers for Letterbarrow Blathnaid Leahy, Orla Maguire and Lauren Quinn. Goal scorers for Glenree Eilís O’Connell and Erin Caldwell A massive thanks to Glenree for making the long journey and being part of a very entertaining game in good spirits from all. Also, thanks to George Clinton for refereeing the game. Letterbarrow wish Glenree all the best for the rest of the season.

Drumbar United 3 – 0 Gweedore Celtic

Group 3
Drumkeen United B 1– 1 Drumbar United B
A great game of football was played on Monday evening in St.Patrick’s Park where points were shared between Drumkeen and Drumbar. It was a very entertaining game with both teams playing some lovely football. Both keepers were tested on many occasions, but both were on top of their game keeping the ball out of their nets. The opening goal came on the 12th minute when Drumbar’s Aoife Gallagher pounced on to a loose kick out and finished the ball neatly into the net from outside of the box. Drumkeen lifted their heads after this and got their reward on the 43rd minute after a great phase of passing play and the hard-working Ruby O’Brien ran clear and finished well into the bottom left corner. Both teams pushed on for a winner but with some great defending the game finished 1-1.

Bonagee United – Letterkenny Rovers B (Bonagee Win)

Bonagee secured the win against a young Rovers team at Goose Green. Goal scorers Eabha Gribben Alice Harvey Abbie Clarke and Leila Coyle. Thanks to referee Sean O Donnell and thanks to TCS for sponsoring their new kit.

Kildrum Tigers FC 5 – 1 Gweedore Utd

Gweedore took the lead early with a great finish from outside the box. Kildrum equalised 5 mins later after Evie Gallagher found Harper Lynch Mahon who shot low past the Keeper. Aine Bovaird added Kildrums second shortly after finding the net after good work from Haper Lynch Mahon. Molly Toland added a third just before half time with a shot from distance.
Kildrum started the second half well and Aine Bovaird scored her second of the game with a shot from outside the box. After some Gweedore pressure, Kildrum broke with Molly Toland shooting low past the keeper getting her second of the night. Aine Bovaird and Harper Lynch Mahon had very impressive performances for Kildrum. Well done to the whole squad and thanks to Gweedore for the game.

Swilly Rovers 4 – 0 Finn Valley B
The Swilly Rovers u12 girls got the next phase of the league off to a great start with a win on Tuesday evening. Strong midfield performance from Holly Sweeney and Ella Coyle meant that Finn Valley had to defend well and defend they did. Breaking quickly on numerous occasions Finn valley had some great counter attacking moments. It was Swilly however who finished on top on the first half Thanks to goals from Captain Ella Coyle and forward Kiri Sweeney. Second half saw many changes from Swilly and some of their newer players performed excellently. Finn Valley looked dangerous however but a change in midfield few Swilly meant a new attacking threat in the form of Meabh Kennedy. By the end she had bagged two more goals and kept the 3 points safe. Great team performance from all the girls at Swilly. Thanks to Finn Valley for a good competitive game and to Kevin O’Donnell for officiating.

Cappry Rovers B 0 – 0 Ballyraine Celtic
Cappry U12 B team welcomed Ballyraine to the Riverside pitch this evening. A very hard-fought battle between the two sides and some Excellent performances by all girls with great saves by the goalkeepers. The game ended with a 0 -0 draw


Under 14
Group 2
Convoy Arsenal 1 – 1 Drumbar United
Convoy U14 girls faced Drumbar United this evening in Orchard Park. Both teams were equally matched in the first half with end-to-end football. Convoy came out the stronger in the second half and got themselves the lead after ten minutes when Eleanor Tait found the back of the net. Convoy girls really had control and had many shots in target. Unfortunately, these could not be converted into goals, which could be down to tired legs from a game a night over the last 3 nights between soccer and Gaelic. Convoy girls almost ended the game winners but with determination, Drumbar equalised in the final seconds of the game. Well done to the girls who will be glad of the rest over the weekend.

Donegal Town 0 – 2 Finn Valley
It was a wet start to this game at the hospital field Donegal Town this evening for the fixture. Both teams putting in great performances but Finn Valley took the lead in the 1st half and went in 1 up at half time. Donegal Town pushed hard for an equaliser but were caught on the break for the 2nd goal. The game finished 2-0 to Finn Valley. A great evening of football well done to both teams.

Group 3
Glenea United 1 – 0 Gweedore United
Thosaigh Gleann Átha laidir anocht le imirt mhaith ó Shauna Doohan agus Minnie Coyle I lár na pairce. Tháinig an cúl ó Shauna ag rith óna leath fhéin tríd trí imreoir GD agus thug sí pass maith dá Jenny agus rinne sí cinnte an liathroid a chuir sa chúl. Bhí seans mór eile ag Shauna indhiadh sin, san áit a rith sí tríd an lár Ina aonair ach ní raibh an tádh léi agus bhuail sí an crossbar. Dimir GD peil iontach sa dara leath Go háirithe’ Rodgers’ ach theip orthu cúl a fháil indhiadh obair iontach ó consontóirí Gleann Átha. Laoch na himeartha anocht nó Kaydence Friel a bhí iontach ar fad sa líne cúl agus Minnie Coyle a chuir isteach obair mhór i lár na pairce.

Glenea started the game well with great work from Shauna Doohan and Minnie Coyle. The breakthrough came on the 18th minute when Shauna Doohan ran from her own half dribbling past the GD team and layed the ball off to Jenny who finished well. Shauna again had another great opportunity after running the pitch a second time but was unfortunate when her strike hit the bar. GD came close after a great run from Rodgers but Elin and Kaydence made no mistake in their tackle to stop her attack. Hannah McBride was marshalling her well throughout. Áine Mangan was causing havoc on the wing, showing some brilliant skill. Gweedore started the second half well and put lots of pressure on the Glenea backline but Molly Friel and Lucy Doohan made sure their defence line was in order and cleared their line well. Sarah Coyle was working hard on the wing and released Shauna but GD defended well. Best for Glenea on the night was Kaydence Friel and Minnie Coyle, they displayed some great football and put in lots of great tackles to stop attack! Rodgers from GD did very well also.

Gweedore Celtic 5 – 1 Glenea United
Congratulations to the Gweedore under 14 girls team who recorded the 4th win in a row on Thursday last in Magheragallon. Eabha Campbell opened the scoring on 8 minutes and followed it 15 minutes later to get her brace. Aimee McFadden scored a magnificent goal from 30 yards out to make it 3 – 0 to Na Ceiltigh. Gweedore was awarded a penalty on 35 minutes for a handball incident. Aoife Nic Aoidh duly put the ball in the back of the net. Glenea started the second half with real determination and defended very well. It was 20 minutes into the second half before Síofra Campbell put Na Ceiltigh 5 up. Glenea was not giving up and managed to break away. Sauna Doohan, who was a real threat all through the match, scored for Glenea on 55 minutes. Final score Gweedore Celtic 5 Glenea United 1. The player of the match was awarded to Aimee for her determination and exceptional defending. This was a great match that was played in the spirit that soccer should be played. Both clubs should be very proud of their team performance.

Dunfanaghy Youths 0 – 3 Keadue Rovers

Group 4
Illistrin 0 – 3 Mulroy Academy

Kilmacrennan Celtic 0 – 0 Glenree
Kilmacrennan dominated this game from start to finish but couldn’t find the net against the superb Hannah McClafferty in nets for Glenree. Orlaith Whoriskey Beth Sweeney and Rachel Hegarty came close to breaking the deadlock for Kilmac but McClafferty kept the ball out and a clean sheet for Glenree. Glenree had a ball in the Kilmac net late in the second half, but ref Alistair Gourley ruled the goal out after Ailbhe Breen was fouled for Kilmac. A fair result and well marshalled game by referee.


Under 16
Group 1
Bonagee United 4 – 3 Lagan Harps
Bonagee girls started off strong with Caitlin Fletcher and Ellen Temple finding the back of the net, leaving the side 2-0 up early on in the match. Ellen Temple and Cari Callaghan had attempts with the Lagan keeper saving both. A great drive from Lagan player Claragh Gallagher saw her effort in the back of the net, however Bonagee’s Emily Hopkins hit a fantastic shot over the keeper’s head, with the scoreline of 3-1 at the end of the first half. Lagan came in fast in the second half with Amy Latiff scoring a strong goal, 3-2. With the gap closing, Bonagee’s Ellen Temple had a near miss. Lagan’s Claragh Gallagher got her second goal of the game putting the sides even at 3-3. However, the Bonagee side came through with Caitlin Fletcher getting her second goal of the game putting Bonagee ahead. The final score 4-3 to Bonagee Utd.

Letterkenny Rovers 2-5 Ballyraine
The league resumed after the break for the exams. Grace McGlynn opened the scoring for Ballyraine from the penalty spot after Maria McKinney was taken down in the box. Caithlin McBrearty made a fine save from Finlay Doherty shot however Anna Muldoon tapped in the loose ball at the back post Aisling McGinley pulled one back for Rovers with a fine strike from 30yards. Anna Muldoon got her second exactly a replica of her first nipping in before the defender after a great initial save by Caithlin. Eadaoin Kennedy extended the lead for Ballyraine shortly after the restart Maria McKinnley wrapped the scoring up for Ballyraine, however Rovers continued to press and Aoibhe Rafferty as rewarded for her hard work with a great run past the defender to slot the ball passed the advancing keeper. Best for Rovers was Aoibhe Rafferty and Aisling McGinley with Maria McKinney and Finlay Doherty impressing for Ballyraine.

Group 2
Finn Valley 1 – 1 Convoy Arsenal
Finn Valley WFC welcomed Convoy Arsenal to the Valley Centre for the final game in Group 2 of the u16Women’s League. Played in glorious sunshine, the Valley girls started well and on the opening exchanges were soon to create chances on goal but were unable to convert. Convoy themselves began to settle into the game and create chances and found themselves unable to get past the Valley keeper who made some fine saves to keep Convoy at bay. The deadlock was finally broken on 20mins when Valley took the lead through Mia McMullan. From the restart Convoy pushed for an equaliser and again the Valley keeper was keeping her goal intact with some very good saves. Then against the run of play Convoy got their leveller through the pacey J. Doherty who slotted the ball into the goal beyond the Valley keepers despairing dive. With their confidence risen Convoy began to put pressure on the home side until the HT whistle. After the break Valley began to show glimpses of their form before the break and were unlucky not to extend their lead, as it was the turn of the Convoy keeper to make the shutouts as Valley began to dominate the half, but Convoy were always dangerous on the counter attack. That was the pattern of the half until the final whistle as Convoy defended very well to their credit, but the Valley girls will feel somewhat disappointed with the drawn result.

St Catherines 4 – 0 Cappry Rovers

Group 3
Mulroy Academy 2 – 3 Milford United

Donegal Women’s League – this week’s results & match reports was last modified: June 22nd, 2024 by Staff Writer